905-896-3333 * 905-827-6999 * 416-762-4200

Mold & Bateria Consultants

Mold and Bacteria Consulting Laboratories

Quality Analytical and Information Services for Mold and Bacteria

At MBL we are able to identify even the most difficult molds. We test air, bulk and surface samples for mold or bacteria and provide free technical information (including medical information where available) which enables you to make informed decisions. We can help provide peace of mind.

MBL has a free online directory of mould professionals and companies, searchable by province/city. To browse it or to have your company included, click here.

If you have a sample you would like examined click here - How To Take And Send Samples

If you have any questions contact us:

Mold & Bacteria Consulting Laboratories (MBL) Inc

1020 Brevik Place, Unit 1A
Mississauga, ON L4W 4N7

Don't forget if you have a listing with any of the following, disclose, disclose, disclose - and use a Sellers Information Statement.

Helpful tips on Air Quality, Knob & Tub, Insurance:

Knob & Tube

Knob and Wiring can often cause headaches when obtaining Insurance for closing.  Please view the Martin, Merry & Reid Procedures that might assist.  Download Homeowners/Policyholders with Knob & Tube Wiring Procedures at bottom of page.

Having trouble getting Home Insurance due to Knob & Tube Wiring?  Try the following Insurance Brokers:

  • Robert Harrison, CFA - Martin, Merry & Reid Ltd. - Tel:  416-366-3333 x 222
  • David Slack - Aero Insurance - 1 800 971 1363 and cell 416 992 6695
  • Rocky Yu - Co-Operators  416-498-8383
One of our buyers called the following 3 electricians for quotes to upgrade, these names might help:
Frank Bertuello - 416-573-9332 or 905-0056 (quoted $1,500. and the buyer was pleased)
Paul Langstaff - cell:  416-451-9309, office 905-947-0525 - 24 hr emergency line.
Mike Enzo - 416-247-6006
60 AMP SERVICE & ALUMINUM WIRING:   Rocky Yu of Co-operators Insurance 416 498 8383.   He insures knob and tube, aluminum wiring and 60 amp service for closing.
For 60 Amp:  You have to have a Licensed Electrician check the electrical (before closing) and write a work order up and the Buyer signs it to say that they will have the 60 amp service changed within 30 days after completion date.  This is an exception to their policy but they do it.  This allows the Buyer to get insurance on close and then put in 100 amps within 30 days.
They Insure Knob and Tube and Aluminum Wiring.....again a licensed Electrician has to inspect it and say it's safe (with a written work order) and they'll insure it.  Contrary to other places they don't require that the wiring has to be changed.  They also only require a Licensed Electrician inspect it, not the ESA


ESA Approvals and Contact Numbers - Procedures
to obtain a safety certificate for closing or insurance purposes, download the following report. Initial ESA Inspections cost approx. $115.00 - 1-800-434-0172.
Home Insurance Program For Knob and Tube Wiring
Home insurance program for knob and tube wiring including the contact numbers of qualified home inspectors.
Knob and Tube Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently asked questions answered by the Electrical Safety Authority.
First Name: 
Last Name: 
* * Maximum of 2000 characters

Commercial Agents:

If your clients are not willing to pay for a full Phase 1 Environmental Report - to get started you can order just the basic Site Report by calling EROS (Environmental Risk Information Services).   This is the first stage before ordering the full blown Phase 1 Report that usually costs $1,200 and up.

ERIS prices start at $75.00 dependant on the level of information needed.

www.ecologeris.com - 416-510-5204 Custom made environment property reports for pre-Phase 1.

For Phase 1 Environment reports contact

Safetech Environmental Ltd. as listed below.

Since Mold and Air Quality in homes and buildings is becoming such a hot topic, we're passing along 3 names of companies that specialize in their detection and remediation.

The average Home Inspector can sometimes detect mold in attics etc. however provide little assistance when it comes to correcting the matter.    When in this situation you may wish to extend your "conditions on home inspection" to allow for a follow-up inspection by a specialist.
Canam Building Envelope Specialists Inc
125 Traders Bl E
Cooksville, ON L5A 4A3
(905) 890-5866

*Free Estimates
Sick Building Solutions Corporation
200 Brown's Line,
Toronto, ON, Canada
M8W 3T4
1.877.742.5253 (1.877.SICKBLD


 An Oil Tank can Blow the Deal …

Real Estate transactions can be put on hold or Insurance can be denied if an underground fuel oil storage tank is found and not registered or an aboveground storage tank is found leaking this also can pose a serious problem.

Immediate action is required, the removal or replacement of the tank must follow or according to the Insurance bureau of Canada a place of residence or commercial facility with an exterior tank older than 15 years or an interior tank older than 25 years will not be insured.





Print this page and place a check mark beside all statements that apply to you.


The legs of my fuel oil tank are resting on a questionable footing, are bent (unstable), or appear badly corroded.

There are signs of leakage around the fill or vent pipes, or by the tank itself.

There is a strong smell of fuel oil near my fuel oil tank.

There are signs of dripping oil from the
bottom of the tank.

The filter and/or fuel line located at the base of the tank is not protected from falling ice or snow.

The fuel oil line for the tank runs under a concrete floor, or is encased in concrete.

The vent whistle is silent when the tank is being filled (ask the delivery person).

Oil consumption seems higher than normal.

The fuel oil gauge for the tank is broken, missing, or faulty.

I did not have my fuel oil tank, connection lines and furnace inspected by a qualified oil burner technician last year.

If you placed a check mark in any of the boxes above, contact your oil burner technician or fuel oil supplier to arrange for a more detailed inspection.



Heating a house with fuel oil continues to be a common source of heating for rural residents. However, some home owners tend to overlook their responsibility for the maintenance of both the furnace and the fuel oil tank. Some home owners assume that the fuel supplier will ensure that the tank and fuel lines are maintained and safe. This is not a safe assumption.
    Every home owner using fuel oil should adopt the following preventative measures to protect their home, family, and neighbours:


Be aware of the smell of oil. Contact your heating contractor immediately if you smell the odour of fuel oil.


Check to ensure that your oil tank is approved by Underwriters' Laboratories of Canada (ULC).


If your tank is 15 years of age or older, consider replacing the tank with a new tank.


Never buy or install used fuel oil tanks. Never transfer oil from an old tank to a new tank, as water and contaminants can also be transferred.


Oil tanks should be located at least 100 ft. from the nearest well. Tanks located beside drive ways should be protected with concrete posts.


Ice shields are available to protect your tank and lines from falling snow or ice. If your tank is at risk, have a shield installed.


Oil tanks should rest on a solid, non-combustible, level surface.


Oil tanks should not be touching a wall, resting on wood or wood supports, or raised on stacked blocks.


Have your oil tank, fuel lines and furnace inspected by a certified oil burner technician at least once a year



Deadline Dates

Fuel Oil is an excellent source of energy, it is less expensive compared to natural gas and electricity, it is very safe and clean if the storage tanks are properly maintained and inspected regularly.

The new regulations require fuel oil distributors to conduct inspections on all fuel oil heating systems. This includes all underground and aboveground tanks, associated piping, venting and heating appliances such as furnaces, boilers and water heaters. The fuel oil distributor must inspect all equipment to which they deliver fuel, whether it is located above or below ground. Fuel oil cannot be delivered to equipment that poses an immediate hazard.

What homeowners or commercial establishments don’t realize is that most tanks corrode from the insight out which is not visible to the naked eye. This is due to condensation build up in the tank, since oil is lighter than water, the water goes to the bottom of the tank which causes it to corrode. Most insurance companies are concerned about this, because they are afraid that the tank has the potential of spilling all of its contents into the environment (soil, ground water).

If you own a buried fuel oil tank, or aboveground storage it must be upgraded with leak and spill-protection equipment or removed. Your first step is to register your tank, free of charge, with the Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA). Your fuel supplier may refuse to fill your underground tank if it is not registered with TSSA This does not include oil tanks in basements and aboveground fuel storage tanks. The provincial regulations include a phased-in, multiyear program to upgrade or remove these tanks